115 Yamaha with about 36 hours, no fuel to engine

CaptJim LYC

Cadet
Just took the boat out last week. Launched from ramp, engine started up fine, ran fine. Left dock, buddy took trailer to marina, I was about 1/4 mile from ramp up on plane doing just fine,then motor started to hesitate and stopped. Tried to start, turning over fine, but all things pointed to engine not getting gas. Gas was stored with proper stabilizer, none added since last fall. boat stored inside all winter. After anchor finally held about 30 feet from rocks, USCG and BoatUS Tow came to my rescue. (glad I got the insurance!) Anyway, I changed the fuel/water separator filter, no water that I could see. Tried to use the primer bulb but gas was not filling up....squeezed it about 50 times....still not happening....I was told about 5 or 6 and it is firm. Will have to take to dealer....just hope it is under warrantee
Anybody have an idea of what is going on?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
why would you think it would be under a warranty?

sounds like sucking air instead of fuel from tank
if it was a restriction, the primer bulb would be flat

CaptJim LYC

Cadet
Well yes, that is what I am thinking too. Seems hard to believe that the bulb, or for that matter the lines could be bad after one year?! If it was a bad connection you would think it would be leaking fuel. This is going to cost me something to get it fixed, sure I know that. But since the engine is only a year old and I have an extended warranty....who knows? I know I have to get it on the trailer, which means a lift at my marina....so there goes $75 bucks lol. I am going to take it back to the dealer today. I still think the new outboards are better than I/Os but then again, never had this issue on my I/Os....just other more costly things....lol

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
if there is a leak on the suction side of the pumps it will not leak fuel out, it will suck air in.

Motor may be just a year old, but what about the tank and lines?

that is the most likely place the problem is as you cannot even get the primer bulb to move fuel and it is not on the motor.

did you pump up the primer before starting the motor at the ramp?
did you try pumping the bulb out on the water when it died and would not start back up?

If you only tried after dumping the filter and trying to refill it, then you may not have got the filter to seal properly and the primer is just sucking air if it is in the line after the filter.

animals may have chewed up a fuel line over the winter who knows until someone checks things out