What exactly am I looking at?

MistaTubbs

Cadet
DIY Mechanic here..recently purchased a 1995 Suzuki 25hp outboard. She was acting mysteriously and sputtering. After cleaning out ant hills of deposits from the third carburetor, symptoms persisted. Therefore, I diagnosed the fuel pump as the culprit. I was a bit amazed when I took this apart. Better yet, I replaced the fuel pump with a brand new assembly today and she seems 10 years younger. Ultimately, I'm curious as to what (if anything) those deposits are blocking/restricting. Thanks!

MistaTubbs

Cadet
Sorry I'm noob. Click the link: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet in ^^^ post to look at the full album.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Is that rust or is it pieces of the fuel line?
the filter on motor should have caught it if coming from tank

Ethanol fuel has a bad habit of eating up the inside of fuel lines

MistaTubbs

Cadet
Thanks for the replies guys. My fuel tank is one of those orange plastic ones. I believe that that is rust we are looking at but I am not sure. Somehow, the fuel filter looked pretty decent when I cleaned it. I took the boat out today (after installing a new fuel pump and rebuilt carbs) and it didn't skip a beat! Feels good finding the issue and fixing it yourself!!!

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
still need to find out what it is and where it came from,
IMHO it has to come from something after the filter on motor to hit the pump.\

If rust a magnet should pick it up

robert graham

Admiral
Buy a Walmart/Attwood fuel/water seperator for $28 and install on inside of transom....a great help to eliminate fuel issues.....