1990 PRO V 150 Alarm.

James R

Commander
After the motor warms up the alarm sounds, a continuous alarm. Motor will not come up on revs. This I assume is protection. There is no over heat. Can I assume that this is an oil issue. I dont have the boat here but I will check the oil levels first when it arrives. Any input would be appreciated. Not familiar with the Yammy set up.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
oil level or overheat will set off a buzzer and limit RPM to about 2000.
it does not protect anything, it just warns the operator there is a problem and needs to stop the motor and deal with the problem. If the buzzer does not function the RPM limit is a back up and should get their attention to look at the gauges

gauges come in handy to tell the operator which alarm it is

James R

Commander
Thanks for the response 99. I have the boat here now and I will check everything. The oil levels look good. I am doing a service, carbs and lower. I can see already that the lower is toast. While I am waiting for parts I will check the temp switches and look at the oil float switches. This by the way is a retirement hobby of mine. Get a kick out of doing them especially rebuilds. Can do those in my air conditioned shop at my own pace. Life is good.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Look up rydlyme marine descaler, if you need to clean the cooling passages.
I have read good things about it

James R

Commander
Thanks 99yam 40. Rebuilt the carbs. Lower unit shot. Replaced with a good used unit. Lower was probably seizing. Smart person had tied the upper tank oil level float in the up position. Probably in an attempt to shut the alarm off. Of course the upper tank not getting refilled.. No evidence of overheating. Oil tanks full. Alarm systems working. Tested in the tub no alarms.Did continuity on the temp switches. Port switch seemed intermittent bad. Connected it up and ran the motor half hour in the tub no alarm. Temps showing good