yamaha,130,2001,runs alittle hot at high rpms only in the summertime,sw florida

Johncs

Cadet
eng o/h alarm goes off at high rpms only,,,i finally realized this has happened only in the summer,i guess because water is warmer,,alarm goes off and I wait 5 full minutes,alarm is off and I am good staying at 3400rpms,,,i ve had this problem for at least 5 years not realizing it only occurred in summer and previously have checked/reoplaced hd gaskets,cleaned water jackets,water pumps, thermostats,poppet valve grommet,also I had prop cleaned up prior to this problem and was told he cupped it alittle and my max rpms went down to 4500rpms,was 5400 i m pretty sure specs are 5500-6000,,,well I I m getting ready to due an ohms check again on sensors in hot water and use an ir temp gun on eng on a diagnosis run,,,,,,,,any suggestions thanks john

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
use a different prop of it is lugging the motor
if this problem showed up after having prop cleaned up prior to this problem it would point to the prop change

a chemical cleaning of cooling passages might help as you cannot get to them all manually
I have read good things about Rydlyme marine descaler

tommarvin

Ensign
Disclaimer,we have a force 125hp.
We just installed a digital water temp gauge, the lowest temp on the gauge is 104F, when we are planning at 3000rpm our temp never gets to 104F, In other words you get max cooling at high rpm. When we throttle back to neutral the temp goes up less cooling.
I lived in Clearwater and the water never got to hot for overheat.
Your right on, test the sensors in hot water, point the IR temp gun at the very top of the head when oh alarm goes off.
Install a digital water temp gauge, I can't tell you how good it feels to look down at the temp and it's not even 104F .