Fuel delivery issue

CaydenL

Recruit
I have a 2001 yamaha 15hp two stroke on my Boston whaler 11.5'. The other day I took the boat out to go fishing and soon after my first time getting up on plane I noticed some hiccups in the engine but in went away and I continued full throttle on plane. Shortly after leaving my first fishing spot I started the engine and gave it gas and it died. Had a difficult time starting but finally got it. Tried giving it gas again and I was wide open throttle only to be going a little faster then idle speed. I managed to idle back to the boat ramp and went home and emptied the gas in the gas tank and put fresh ethanol free gas and got the oil mixture right and added some sea foam to the gas and ran it for a while at home with the hose attached to the motor and it sounded a lot better. Took the boat out the next day and the engine started first pull at the boat ramp and when i went wide open throttle this time I made it up on plane at normal speed only hear the engine start to die. I squeezed the primer bulb and it was limp with no gas in it and as soon as I squeezed it the engine roared back to life and I had to keep squeezing the bulb to keep the engine running at speed. When I would not squeeze the bulb the engine would cut out. I checked to make sure the vent was open and also check the inside of the fuel line for restrictions but it was clean. My question now is my fuel line or primer bulb bad or has the fuel pump gone bad or something else?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
my guess would be the fuel pump as the bulb helped and did not collapse on itself as a restriction would have caused it to

tommarvin

Ensign
I would replace all the fuel filters first, it's easy to eliminate.
Could be a dirty carb, spray carb cleaner and blow all openings with compressed air. it's best to get a rebuild kit while you have the carb apart, get all new gaskets, so no air leaks.
Oh, take the fuel line off the outlet side of the primer bulb, does fuel shoot out when you squeeze it.
My gut says 99yam40 is right.