2001 Yamaha 150 Vmax starting issues

freyski32

Recruit
I recently purchased a 2001 tracker with a Vmax 150 2001 everything ran perfect when I bought it and test drove it and the first few weeks of operation. The issue seems to be a fuel pump problem but I am moderate at best in diagnosing outboard engine issues.

The scenario: I have owned the boat since April. The boat has always fired up and still does right away when it has been sitting overnight. Seems to run fine at full throttle and idle just fine when I just put it in the water.

After I motor however and shut the engine down to fish and then go to fire the engine back up it starts really rough.

This weekend I couldn't even get it started after running across the lake and had to electric motor back to the landing. I pulled the boat out went to get a sandwich and turned the key in the parking lot and it backfired like something fierce. I also noticed a fair amount of graphite looking black flakes coming out of the drain holes in the prop and the exhaust.

When I pump the bulb it gets hard but it doesn't stay that way for long. To me it sounds like the engine isn't getting any fuel but i don't have much experience with fuel injected outboards.

Any chance this could be the two fuel pumps? Maybe 1 is leaking? Should I be concerned about the black flakes coming out of the exhaust or is that carbon build up from excessive air/fuel?

I really appreciate the advice

Thanks Adam

tommarvin

Ensign
Welcome Adam, Disclaimer we have a Force 125hp
First thought when old ignition parts get hot/overheat and you turn the motor off, they need to cool down for about 10-15 before they will work again to start the boat, we get this question around once a month in the force forum, and it very hard to diagnose which ignition part even a two stroke.
The black flakes out the prop are scary, you know it's fuel or spark, we backfire after we flood the motor.
Oh, I learned this from Frank Acampora, take the plugs out squirt in one teaspoon/ 5ml fuel in each cylinder,put the plugs back in, the motor will be flooded when you first turn it over, BUT, if she fires it's a fuel delivery problem. Test the fuel pressure too if you can..
When you say fuel injected outboard I assume EFI fuel injectors, They get dirty and can be cleaned, and they have fuel filters on the ends of them that need to be replaced I think every season.
There are fuel pump rebuild kits,