2003 F75 4-stroke intermittent start in neutral

Ronmisc

Recruit
While Idling out of the marina the engine began to run rough and dies out. Smoke is present coming from the cowling. At inspection the regulator/rectifier shorted due to corroded wires (greenish debris on end of burnt wiring) it fried and the heat also deformed the CDI case. Not taking chances due to heat, I bought OEM CDI AND R/R. Plug and play all went well. At start up it idles at approx 900-950 and smoothly. After about 60-90 seconds it begins to idle down and quits. It will not restart unless I go throttle only at about 1/2 throttle. It starts and runs fine. I manually idle it down and all is okay but if I take it to neutral it dies out. I can let it sit for 10-15 minutes and it will start in neutral like it's supposed to but again, it dies out after a minute or two. Put new neutral switch on but same. Sounds like fuel starvation but fuel is there and it runs fine at high idle. Something new. It puffs out a good deal of blue smoke for 5 seconds or so them stops. It never did that before. Next step I'll take is a compression check and new plugs. Could the wire shorting have caused this or is it just a coincidence? Thanks for your suggestions.

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy

Blue smoke tells me it's running rich. From previous issues and the greenish debris, looks like regular maintenance is not accomplished.

agree, start with compression, if its good, then go to the fuel system. Don't think the shorting would be the issue currently with what is provided

tommarvin

Ensign
Sounds like maybe more ignition parts may have been damaged or a wire got burnt bare, loose ,broken ,disconnected in a connector, pull hard on all wires going into connectors.
When old ignition parts get hot/overheat they won't start the motor until a 10-15 min,cool down This sounds like your symptoms.
I would take the flywheel off, do you see any brown or burnt marks on stator,we have a force,so don,t know whats under your flywheel, you will have to check everything, and test every ignition parts ohm's and DVA.
outboardignition.com has all the troubleshooting and testing for your motor, www cdielectronics.com has the same thing, try both.
You will find it, and it could take some time.