Slow cranking issue 1989 200 h.p. Yamaha

oddysea1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I posted this issue last week and received some good mechanical advise.The problem however still exists. The cranking is weak to start and then slows down and stops after 8 or so seconds. The starter and starter soliniod checked out,the battery is new and the cables are in good working order.I spoke briefly to a very busy mechanic and he stated that their is a bushing located on the drive shaft that maybe corroded and could be responsible for the laden starting of the motor.He suggested taking off the lower unit and then hand cranking the flywheel to see if it is in fact easier to turn.My question is, does that sound feasible and if so, where is this bushing located, and is it a challenge to get to and replace? Thank you Andy

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
It is in the mid section.
if it is binding up the drive shaft you may have a problem sliding the shaft out when you drop the lower unit

Is the flywheel hard to turn by hand right now?

oddysea1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes. the flywheel is hard to turn with and without the plugs in.

tommarvin

Ensign
You got great advise, Just wondering, was this guy a certified Yamaha outboard mechanic? If not what a good guy.
Yes this is very feasible, drop the lower unit takes five min the second time you do it, the first time a little longer.
You need a factory service manual, or parts list so you can find the bushing you need, drop the lower unit first,find the bushing first so you know what it looks like when you order the new bushing.
This is a good time to change the impeller if it's over one year old.

oddysea1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank you for the supportive advise, the mechanic is coming on Tuesday to check and repair,I will let you know his findings so they can be used for future reference. Thank you again Andy

oddysea1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It was the bushing on the drive shaft,it took about 45 minutes to break the shaft free and to remove the bushing which came out as salty dust.Thank you for your concern and advice. It was very very helpful. Andy