Knucklehead/hack job question about engine harness...

renegade15

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 2000 yamaha c50 that the brown starter solenoid trigger wire has gone bad on only the section from the 10-pin plug to the starter solenoid. I split the thick black insulation and it is mush all the way into the big black plastic plug. No clue how it kept starting as long as it has!!!
My question that I cringe at asking as I detest wiring hack jobs greatly, is do I even NEED the 10-pin connector? I mean, what is the reason preventing me from just cutting the connector out completely and just crimping all the wires together with quality heat shrink connectors? I realize I wouldn't be able to just unplug the motor to remove it...but frankly it's a 16 year old motor that is likely only going to be removed once more in its life...

ANYHOW, if this is a terrible idea and someone can tell me why, please convince me to spring for a harness because one thin 5" wire decided to fall apart...

tommarvin

Ensign
How much is a harness? If one wire is broken are others close to breaking, more trouble shooting.
Your good, to find the brown starter solenoid trigger wire, .
Anyway to cut back on anything else,to save for the harness, OT at work, starbucks line, cheaper bottle of cab tonight, etc...
If you boat in the ocean especially offshore, you need to get the wiring harness. ,