Ignition Wiring Question

jbing81

Chief Petty Officer
I picked up a Blue Sea Systems Add a battery for my boat. I'm looking at the installation instructions and it's calling for the isolation switch to be wired to the 'start' side of the ignition switch. After looking at the wiring diagram for my '12 F150 it shows the yellow is 'ignition on' & and the brown is the 'start circuit' which do I wire to? Any help would be great.

tommarvin

Ensign
IDK, Good for you to have two batterys, I would keep them on a battery maintainer, 24/7/365 days, you could get up to four years out of a battery.

jbing81

Chief Petty Officer
Anyone out there know? I'm assuming it goes to the brown 'start circuit'

tommarvin

Ensign
Have you checked Blue Sea.com and navigated to resources/applications briefs and technical briefs. Or just call them and ask.
Or just pay a certified Yamaha outboard mechanic for 30 min of phone time to help you .
This is very serious, you don't want to wreck your electrical or ignition system .
This forum knows the answer , it's just way to risky to say anything. Be careful.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Brown is the start wire,
but I do not understand what they are saying about motors with combined alternator and starter wires

jbing81

Chief Petty Officer
This is what they're referring to regarding the separate starter & alt wires.

I appreciate all the help. I have a much better grasp on this now. I'm already setup with a duel battery system with the typical 1,2,1&2 switch so 75% of the work is already done. I just wasn't sure which ignition wire I needed to tap into. But after further reading it's pretty clear the brown 'start circuit' is where I need to get my isolation power from.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
the start wire is only energized when the key is in the start position
Maybe it needs to know when yoou are energizing the starter to keep other stuff from happening during that time

jbing81

Chief Petty Officer
That's exactly what the isolation wire does and why I need to figure out what ignition wire to tap into. Ever since I started adding electronics I've been loosing them on start up due to voltage drop. This kit isolates the house and started battery during start up