Motor kicked itself into gear now?

Flfowl2222

Recruit
Hello everyone. Just purchased my first out board. 99 15 hp four stoke. Missing my mud motor allready! Took out in the water three times yesterday. First two went perfect. Go out that evening to test top speed. After testing I was just idling down a creek and decided to fish. Flipped into neutral and motor was still running. Went to click into revers and heard a small click sound and I was going foward and not backwards. My shifter now movers freely as if was not connected to anything and I was stuck in foward. Turned off motor. Looks like the clutch bar popped out. I have no clue how to get back together. I almost had it back in but being new I didn't want to apply a lot of force abs snap something. Need help on what to do next!

Flfowl2222

Recruit
Hi 99 Yam, It is the bar running from lower unit that you shift gears with. it may be called something else. I do apologize like I mentioned first outboard.
Update since last post. I have gotten the bar back into the upper shift assembly but only have forward, natural and no reverse. The kicker is that when I go to start its like its sliding into the forward position. I pulled some oil out of lower unit and looks perfect. no metal shavings at all. Not sure what to do next.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
the lower unit gears should be spring loaded to forward,
have to force it into reverse.
If you cannot figure out if the linkage is working properly,
then I would take it to someone that knows more about your motor

tommarvin

Ensign
did the motor go into reverse before this, if not you may have to adjust the shift shaft,Put your shifter in neutral, out the shift shaft in neutral, all the way down is forward mark the shift shaft with a pencil, all the way up is reverse mark the shift shaft with a pencil, you have to turn the prop when your moving the shift shaft up and down. half way between the pencil marks is neutral.
Now adjust the shifter or shift cables if you have them. .

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
I have seen shift shafts that get twisted when too much pressure was exerted on the shaft.
also found the pin that runs through the prop shaft get bent also on that motor.
apparently someone tried shifting it into reverse while motor was not running or prop turning and the shift dogs were not lined up . something had to give when you put that much pressure on the system.

But this was a C60 Yamaha motor