How do I replace the vertical shift linkage in 2005 Yamaha 8 HP 4-stroke outboard

ncpi

Seaman
When replacing the water pump, the threaded connector (for the shift linkage) was frozen and I snapped the vertical shift linkage that goes up to the powerhead section. I don't see a way to remove the rod due to lack of clearance from the powerhead. Is there a good (easy) way to remove and replace this shift linkage rod???

...Thanks, Bill

tommarvin

Ensign
IDK, go ahead and order the new shift linkage that goes up to the power head, while we figure this out. Doe's the rod thread into a coupling or something up in the power head.
Do you have a factory service manual or parts list.

ncpi

Seaman
I am ordering today from my local dealer. It has a 90 deg bend at the top that goes thru a pivot Assy. Rod is held in place with a spring pin. I do not have a service manual or a parts list. Because of the 90 deg bend, I don't See how it will pull out from the bottom.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
power head will probably need to come off to get to the linkage .

did it mess up(break) the pivot Assy?

ncpi

Seaman
Pivot assy is fine. The rod has to come from Japan though...argh. Parts on order.

Are there instructions for removing the powerhead?

ncpi

Seaman
Got a copy of the service manual...its no real help in describing the steps required to remove and re-install the shift rod. Can anyone help???

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
well I do not have that motor or the manual, but I would think that if you cannot get to the linkage with the power head on then you would need to remove it and then get to the linkage

ncpi

Seaman
I was hoping someone actually knew how to position things or move things to do this job without total disassembly. Its the worse service manual that I have ever seen, really no better than a parts diagram. If anyone has actual experience on this motor, it would be good to hear. No mechanics hang out here?