2005 Suzuki DF 200

deer9620

Seaman Apprentice
I'm working on a buddy of mine 05 Suzuki Df200 engine. Engine will turn over and basically start, but dies immediately. Best description that I have is it acts like a kill switch is killing engine. I checked the engine kill switch and it test fine. Engine has 406 hours on it. He said oil light came on blinking and he did the reset. He also said it ran after reset briefly and next day it would not start. There is also no blinking check engine light codes on dash. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
is it a spark problem?
or a fuel pressure problem?

someone will have to do some testing, but it will not be us

Last edited:

deer9620

Seaman Apprentice
Just to add a closure to this post. Trouble ended up being the shift position sensor.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
good to hear, but I do not see why a shift switch would kill spark.
keeping starter from engaging if not in neutral yes

deer9620

Seaman Apprentice
Ok then I feel stupid then. We I pushed button on hand controls to try and give it gas, the engine started. I then shut it off. Started it up again after I put it in the idle position and it started. I then 10 min later tried to start in the idle position and it did same thing. I pushed the button on controller and moved hand controller ever so slightly out of the so called idle position and it started. Now I'm wondering did I give it enough gas to make it start????? Engine is fuel injected, and has never needed to give it gas to start. Also before all this starting fluid did nothing. Any help would be appreciated

deer9620

Seaman Apprentice
I checked yesterday to see if fuel pumps have 12 volts to them with key turned on. They both do. I can hear the low pressure pump running. I can't hear the high pressure pump running cause it's inside the VST. I removed fuel line just after the high pressure fuel filter, from the fuel rail, and I have plenty of fuel. I have not checked it with a fuel pressure guage. I have not checked for spark as of yet. It was raining and the thing has coil packs. Thanks for any help

deer9620

Seaman Apprentice
I also wanted to add this. I did purchase the Suzuki service manual. On the start circuit, to engage the starter, there is obviously a neutral safety switch. The shift position sensor is not on that circuit. That is why above I was thinking it was the shift position sensor. Once again engine cranks, brief fire then dies everytime. Almost like a safety device is killing it. Lanyard switch test good. Thanks again. Sorry typing can be confusing vs voice conversation. :)

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
a inductive timing light should show if there is sprk to the plugs, or a spark tester wiil too.
need to test when motor is not starting

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
check fuel pressures if there is spark

also pumps should have power when key is turned on, but ECU completes ground to make pumps run
at least the yamahas do it that way, I have not done much on Suzukis

Last edited:

deer9620

Seaman Apprentice
All six cylinders have spark, but engine won't start. I haven't checked fuel pressure yet. Seems I can get it to start with throttle in WOT position,then decrease to get it to idle. Both fuel pumps have 12 volts and ground on wire harness with key in the on position.

deer9620

Seaman Apprentice
Checked fuel pressure. With key in the run position 38psi just before fuel rail. Key off drops to 36psi. Manual says wait 5 minutes and check residual pressure. I did that it was 30 psi. Manual says make sure it's 28.4 psi or more. Pumped gas in glass container. No water no trash, looks like clean fuel. Any help would be thankful.

deer9620

Seaman Apprentice
Yet engine starts up when I move hand throttle out of idle position. Possible giving it fuel as I do that. Running as I type this in the idle position. 🤔

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
if you have to open the throttle to get it to start then you are adding more air to the system.
seems it is flooding or not getting any fuel. maybe too rich in fuel even before hitting the starter
but you said starting fluid did not help so no fuel would be ruled out

I was wondering if the high pressure pump is the one that only puts out pressure in the 30s or was it the lift pump?

Last edited:

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
you said you checked it before the rail, so I was not sure were you actual tested it at

deer9620

Seaman Apprentice
I found out what was wrong with the engine. It ended up being the idle air control valve. Valve was stuck shut not letting air in only in idle position. That explains why when I moved shifter throttle out of idle position, butterflies would open slightly and engine would start. That's why I originally thought it was the shift sensor. Thanks all who helped.