Does this oil look normal ? why is it chalky looking, Yamaha 115

Took the boat out of storage and did an oil change , the oil came out chalky and then a little black at the end . I maybe ran 20 hours on the boat last season . Motor ran fine with no issues last season. Thanks

Attachments

• photo243132.png
    photo243132.png
    802.4 KB · Views: 0

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Water in the oil. This is why you should change the gear oil prior to storage. Before you refill it get new gaskets for the drain and vent plugs. After running it for a few hours remove the drain plug let a couple of drops out, and see if the new oil looks like Mocha. If it does, your going to have to reseal the gear case

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I am assuming that is engine oil. If it is, check your thermostat and make sure it's not stuck open.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I assumed gear oil. However there have been a larger number of water in the engine oil posts this year

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
When I think engine oil in boats I think inboard. When I think outboard, I think 2 stroke. Still haven't accepted 4 stroke outboards as legit

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
When I think engine oil in boats I think inboard. When I think outboard, I think 2 stroke. Still haven't accepted 4 stroke outboards as legit
Even though almost all outboards sold for the last 10 years are 4 stroke?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Even though almost all outboards sold for the last 10 years are 4 stroke?

Never driven one, only rode on one, it was a merc 300. What a dog out of the hole. Evinrude still makes 2 strokes, I hope they fixed the disaster called Fucht. !4 yrs ago I switched to an I/O. 5.7 in a 18 ft. It's quick but I still think 2 stroke outboards are the only way to go

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
:popcorn: an I/O vs OB discussion within an oil topic......:focus: