1994 Suzuki 30Hp DT30

BassBoats75

Cadet
Hey everyone so I have a question recently my Suzuki has been running like **** and I took it in last year to a dealer that doesn't specify in suzuki well all never go back to those guys well anyways long story short so Yesterday I took it out for a speed test after finally figuring out why it was running so ruff Spark Plugs lol I got 3 new spark plugs then put all new 89octane Gas in her and took her to the lake with the motor running finally at a greater speed without coughing this time well I was running around at 31.6 mph then I started to hear a knocking sound I don't understand what is causing it my water pump is pumping water fine but anyways when I was at WOT at 31.6 SOG it made that sound and then if I left it it would eventually start to slow down the grinding would get loud then dieeeee.... it also has a carb issue I believe I'm gonna order new gasket and stuff but at a slow idle if I engage it just a hair or 2 past while already in gear it will run riff then die the only time it doesn't die is if its engaged at 4.5 to 5mph thanks guys I'm not to mechanic savvy but I'd like to learn something be nice but that grinding sound can't be good .

Last edited:

tommarvin

Ensign
Sounds like a dirty idle jet ?
Clean and rebuild the carb with all new gaskets, replace all fuel filters,
The grinding can't be good, drain the lower unit gear lube,are there any metal shaving in the oil? or any water.?
Is the idle set high enough, what RPM when you just put the motor in gear?
Is your motor a two stroke you add oil to gas, or oil injected, or four stroke?

BassBoats75

Cadet
It's a 2 Stroke. 3 cylinder oil injection. I did replace the fuel water seperater its never been replaced so I did that 2 months ago I was like **** can't hurt any so I did replace that.then I took it out and it ran horrible I was like what? But I think its really Carbs my motor mechanic said I should get a new gasket repair kit for it don't know which 1 to buy.. I've never done anything with the lower Unit. And I don't have a tach on board apps I know is if I engage it a hair it dies ohhhhh 1 more helpful thing is it has been leaking alot of oil when sitting in the water I see oil coming from somewhere I don't think its the carbs leaking so should I redew the Oil in the lower unit how abouts do I do that wait all look in the manual online

BassBoats75

Cadet
Okay I looked at the lower unit don't look that hard just back that bottom screw off drain then take the 1 that says oil and poor the oil in there what kinda oil do you use? Regular 5 30 weight

BassBoats75

Cadet
I figured it out I just bought Lucas Gear Oil 80-90 weight and I'm also gonna empty out all the 2 stroke oil its probably fine but it won't hurt any so I bought TCW-3 quicksilver I believe is the brand as a technition at the dealer told me its okay to use since they don't make Suzuki motor oil anymore

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
knocking in a motor is never good.
maybe it is too late to salvage your motor with new lower unit lube and new 2 stroke oil.

and you fill the lower unit by pumping the lube into the lower drain hole until it comes out of the top hole.
not fill from the top hole

BassBoats75

Cadet
Sounds like a dirty idle jet ?
Clean and rebuild the carb with all new gaskets, replace all fuel filters,
The grinding can't be good, drain the lower unit gear lube,are there any metal shaving in the oil? or any water.?
Is the idle set high enough, what RPM when you just put the motor in gear?
Is your motor a two stroke you add oil to gas, or oil injected, or four stroke?

Thanks Tom for all your Help