1995 150 TXRT Carb jets - Do I replace?

robsco

Cadet
Not far into my 1[SUP]st[/SUP] carb kit I am stuck on the pilot jets (air). The service manual just mentions them as an item to be removed for full disassembly. The kit I have (Sierra #18-7002) does not have these jets in it to replace.
Of course the things are stuck solid and stripping the brass when I try to unscrew them to clean. Sprayed penetrant, let soak 2 hours and still stuck. After blowing out all the SeaFoam I noticed the jets holes were open as I could see light thru them. Ran some wire thru to clear out any remaining crud and letting them soak now for another removal attempt.

My question: Do I have to remove them if the passages are clear?

I will be searching for already answered similar questions but wanted to ask just in case.

Thank you!

tommarvin

Ensign
No, If a rebuild kit doesn't have the part, just remove the part and clean it as best you can if you can't remove the part don't break/ wreck it.
Another way to clean small carb holes and tubes is with the dull/chuck side of drill bit,get the largest bit that will fit the hole or tube.
Make sure to adjust the floats.For some reason,carb rebuilds aren't that easy to do, many people have problems after they rebuild there carbs.
I can't stress enough, don't get in a hurry, change all gaskets even if you have to wait, order more gaskets, like the gaskets between the carbs and carb adaptor etc...You don't want the aggravation of a carb air leak. .

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Sounds like a plan to me... thank you sir.

Do not stick a drill into the jets they can be damaged. The jets are removable so that you can clean behind them they are not a part that gets replaced in a carb rebuild. If you can't remove them do what you did and soak the carb and blow compressed air through them wire can also damage them so you want to be careful.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
changing even the shape of the holes in jets changes flow through them so as was said be careful with them

robsco

Cadet
Ended up getting a tool from local home improvement store with lowe prices called the EX-1 by Irwin Hanson. Worked like a champ three times (2 pilot jets & 1 main) and comes with the drill bit also. Just use a tap wrench to keep it straight and the things just back right out. Very impressed for ~$5.