Zuke DF175 - 20 hr. Service - Need Steps for DIY

Doubledog

Cadet
2016 Zuke DF175. Should hit 20 hrs. on it within the next two trips and would like to perform the oil change(s) myself. Required are replacing both the power-head and lower unit fluids.

Yes, I've searched the internet till I'm blue in the face but would like to ask you if someone has step-by-step instructions before I go wrenching. It seems simple enough, but I want to feel very confident.

Oil - what weight to use? 10w30 or 10w40?

We live in the Gulf Shores area so its hot and Suzuki doesn't state which one to go with for the higher temp climate.

I'll document everything (keep receipts etc.) and plan on using Suzuki oils and filter.

Please advise and thanks in advance,
Jr.

Last edited:

tommarvin

Ensign
If you work on your motor will this void your warranty?
I think you might have to re-torque the head also, and maybe some other things.
The lower unit is gear lube, replace the factory seals so it doesn't leak.Not O rings.
You need a maintance schedule, so you don't forget anything.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Read your owners manual will have all the info you need. Then get the suzuki service manual. Me personally because it's 20 hrs and under warranty I would let the dealer do it until the warranty is off.

Doubledog

Cadet
For the record - no, doing the maintenance myself will not void the warranty. Main thing is to document with receipts, time & date the service was conducted. The warranty booklet is all of 18 pages long and I've absorbed it.

Read your owners manual will have all the info you need. Then get the suzuki service manual.

I disagree. The owners manual does not show the step by step processes. It shows the maintenance schedule and 'almost' how to perform certain things, but does not go into detail.

Lastly - I've looked for service manuals but have yet to come across a 2015 or newer. (it was my second option after intranet searches).

lakensea

Chief Petty Officer
Lastly - I've looked for service manuals but have yet to come across a 2015 or newer. (it was my second option after intranet searches).

Did you go to your local Suzuki dealer and actually try to buy one? They can have it for within a few days. Really simple procedure.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
For the record - no, doing the maintenance myself will not void the warranty. Main thing is to document with receipts, time & date the service was conducted. The warranty booklet is all of 18 pages long and I've absorbed it.

I disagree. The owners manual does not show the step by step processes. It shows the maintenance schedule and 'almost' how to perform certain things, but does not go into detail.

The owners manual should tell you what oil to use and what it recommends for the gearcase. The how comes from the service manual which is why you need both.

Doubledog

Cadet
Did you go to your local Suzuki dealer and actually try to buy one?

Now there's an idea! Online shopping has been totally fruitless for anything 2015 or newer.

The owners manual should tell you what oil to use and what it recommends for the gearcase. The how comes from the service manual which is why you need both.

The owners manual only states 10w30 and 10w40 with a small graph with each chart for the powerhead. However, it does not go into detail regarding which to use for various climates. I'll post a picture of the owners manual just to make sure I'm reading it correctly.

The lower is pretty straight forward as it states SAE Hypoid 90.

Still have just a shade over 5 hrs before reaching the initial service point so plenty of time left to research. One thing I did notice that's different between the 2013 and 2016 versions (neighbors owns the earlier model). On mine, the PH oil drain can be accessed without removing the lower skirts. Just walk up to the starboard side and there it is on the midsection. Probably the most difficult part will be accessing the filter as it will require removing the skirts themselves (6/7 bolts).

tommarvin

Ensign
If you have fuel injectors, there should be diagnostic software on e-bay to diagnose problems and log all maintance. If not the dealer might sell it to you.
I think it's less than 100 bucks,cable included, need tablet or laptop to run it.

Doubledog

Cadet
Yep, I'm going to buy it also. Guy on ebay has a good following and that way I'll know everything about it. Perhaps it will include a service manual in the software package? I'll go back and check.