Two stroke oil in a four stroke gas?

tommarvin

Ensign
I just asked a guy at a worldwide lube company, can I add a dab of two stroke oil to my four stroke gas so my motor doesn't lean out and burn up.
He said yes, lots of guy do it, I then asked him how much per gallon, I can't tell you that,i could lose my job.
Has anybody ever heard of doing this if so how much per gallon?
We have a Force 125hp two stroke, It was just a thought.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Not sure why you're asking, but..

Yes you can add oil to 4 stroke gas, but depending on how much you add it may actually make it run leaner by doing it.

Not sure what you're trying to help with, do you put oil in the gas for your car?

Why did you add the part about the Force motor, how is relevant to the question? Or was it supposed to be?

robert graham

Admiral
The "lean out" term would refer to air/fuel mixture....not lubrication. If you have plugged jets or injectors or your mixture is off spec then correct it the mixture.....adding oil in the gas is not the solution....Now some folks add products like Marvel Mystery Oil or similar petroleum based "upper cylinder lubricants" to help lubricate upper cylinders, rings, valve guides, etc., but I've never used it in any of my engines and have not experienced any problems I'm aware of....my 2 cents on this....

Seahawk170

Seaman
I am currently getting rid of 20 gallons of treated 50:1 'mixed gas' by adding 2.5 gallons every time I fill my truck. The 4.3 liter engine in my truck runs stronger with that small amount of oil, but I'll be sure glad when it's gone.. might cause issues with the oxygen sensors, fuel injection, or something else.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I am currently getting rid of 20 gallons of treated 50:1 'mixed gas' by adding 2.5 gallons every time I fill my truck. The 4.3 liter engine in my truck runs stronger with that small amount of oil, but I'll be sure glad when it's gone.. might cause issues with the oxygen sensors, fuel injection, or something else.

That small amount of oil diluted into a full tank will do nothing to help your motor run stronger. The only way it would make your motor run any different is if it was making one of the sensors read different than normal, and if it did run better it may mean you actually have a faulty sensor.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
might cause issues with the oxygen sensors
Yes, that is why it is not a bright idea to do such a thing. Most vehicles have 4 O2 sensors at at least $50/each. Not sure I would risk ruining them saving 20 gallons worth of gasoline.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Burn the old mix in your lawn mower, snow blower, or your Mother-in-laws car.

Seahawk170

Seaman
Alright, you guys got me nervous now!! Guess I'll just advertise on CL or something else to rid myself of that pre-mix.
Since repowering to a 4-stroke main, my initial plan was to burn it up on my 2-stroke kicker. However after finding a deal on a low-use 4-stroke kicker, that plan went down the tube. Maybe when I sell my old 2-stroke motors, I'll have to make it contingent on them taking some of my old fuel. LOL

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
You can use the pre mix in a carbed 4 stroke without any issues, fuel injection computers and sensors may get messed up if too much oil is in the mix.

Seahawk170

Seaman
Thanks ondarvr, but the only carb'd 4 cycle engine I own is a small lawn mower. It would literally take years to use up that amount of pre-mix.

tommarvin

Ensign
We pour our 10 micron water separating filter out at the end of boating and burn it up in a metal can in the backyard.Grease the gasket and spin it back on for next season.
You could burn yours up too.

Last edited:

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Don't put it in a vehicle with a catalytic converter. The oil can clog up the converter.

There is a slight benefit to the top end lube effect of having some oil in the gas of a 4-stroke.
Lucas Oils makes a special oil for this that DOES NOT harm the catalytic converters. I believe the ratio is 1 pint per 15 gallons. (its on the label and they have a bottle sized to mix with 15 gallons)
The benefits are small.. and the right oil is expensive.

If it messes with the O2 sensor, there's a spray cleaner that fixes it in seconds.
The only part really hurt is the catalytic converter.

Normal 2-stroke outboard oil in the gas shouldn't bother an outboard 4-stroke that doesn't have emissions controls. There's no really good reason to add it on purpose though.
Don't go with more than 50:1 oil and you probably won't even see it smoke.

Seahawk170

Seaman
We pour our 10 micron water separating filter out at the end of boating and burn it up in a metal can in the backyard.Grease the gasket and spin it back on for next season.

When I was in my early teens growing up in Alaska, just an empty bean can worth of boat gas tossed on a bon fire was an impressive sight. Burning up 20 gallons would be a down-right scary proposition in my suburban neighborhood. :eek:

Seahawk170

Seaman
Don't put it in a vehicle with a catalytic converter. The oil can clog up the converter.

There is a slight benefit to the top end lube effect of having some oil in the gas of a 4-stroke.
Lucas Oils makes a special oil for this that DOES NOT harm the catalytic converters. I believe the ratio is 1 pint per 15 gallons. (its on the label and they have a bottle sized to mix with 15 gallons)
The benefits are small.. and the right oil is expensive.

If it messes with the O2 sensor, there's a spray cleaner that fixes it in seconds.
The only part really hurt is the catalytic converter.

Normal 2-stroke outboard oil in the gas shouldn't bother an outboard 4-stroke that doesn't have emissions controls. There's no really good reason to add it on purpose though.
Don't go with more than 50:1 oil and you probably won't even see it smoke.

I heard somewhere that the new 2-stroke oil has an ashless burn and wouldn't adhere to the platinum reeds within the catalytic converter. I've already decided against adding any more pre-mix to my vehicle though, based on the many other 'sensor' reasons though.
Thanks for your strong advice and everybody else's input on this subject, since I'd hate to disable my tow rig this close to boating season.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Never pour out a spin on filter and put it back on.