2001 F100 Tilt and trim

agrims

Recruit
Hello all!

I have a 2001 F100 that has a tilt and trim problem. I am mechanically inclined and want to tackle the job myself but I would like to know where to start. My issue is that the engine backs out of the water in reverse only in the normal trim range. If it is all the way down, it locks like it is supposed to but as soon as I bump the tilt up, I can pick up the motor. Also, when I get to the spot where it starts going quickly up. it also locks properly, and I cannot pick the motor up by hand. Further, the manual release works fine, the unit does not bleed down over the course of days, and it appears to be full of fluid. (I admittedly have spent time on Google trying to isolate the issue) Could any of the local experts tell me what is going on, and how to fix it? I would be forever grateful!

Last edited:

tommarvin

Ensign
So your T&T problem is, your motor backs out of the water in reverse only in the normal trim range if it's all the way down it locks
Maybe keep the motor all the way down when you back up?.
You don't have any leak down over the course of days, It's working fine..
I'm not sure you have a problem, keep the motor down when you back up.

agrims

Recruit
Yes that is correct. It also locks properly when it is trimmed to the fast portion of the up travel. It doesn't bother me most times, but it does catch me off guard when I back down during anchoring or backing off a trailer. It did not do this a few months ago and would like to try to fix it, if someone knows what the problem is.