New lower unit needed for a 2006 90 hp yama

cvtech1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was told by my shop today that I need to rebuild or replace my lower unit on a 2006 90 hp yama 2 stroke. It would not go into reverse then later it would not go into forward. Could this be possible so soon and how much should it cost? This shop has made a miss diagnosis before, a complete engine rebuild behind a bad fuel line! Please any help would be appreciated.

robert graham

Admiral
I'd find a real Yamaha dealer/technician to repair the internals of your lower unit....or at least give you a cost estimate. Then if the cost is too high check out good used/rebuilt lower units....That's what I'd do if my 1999 C90 lower unit tore up....

cvtech1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks, just surprised it would go bad so soon because it was serviced two years ago. I dont think it had 50 hours on that LU.

tommarvin

Ensign
Your gut is right, watch out.
A complete engine rebuild behind a bad fuel line WOW. That's fraud..
Go get your boat asap.and get out of there, and never go back..
You can test the shifter and shift linkage your self it's simple and very easy, with a factory service. My gut says it's find.
Don't ever take your boat to a shop, this forum will help you with all your problems, your going to have to put forth some effort.
The factory service manual is the answer.