Yamaha 40 2006 makes clicking sound when turning prop

fbates

Recruit
Yamaha 2006 40HP - F40TLR

I was getting the engine ready for summer and I've noticed a clicking sound when I put the motor in forward gear. When the motor is off and in neutral I can turn the prop and it makes the clicking sound. When I put the shift in reverse and then back in neutral the clicking goes away. Put the shift in forward then neutral again and the clicking returns when i rotate the prop. I've been told by a friend that I should adjust the shift linkage or maybe the spline arm but I haven't had much success finding good instructions online. Any help would be appreciated.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
It might be normal it should click one way in forward and lock the other. Should lock both ways in reverse and should not click in neutral but it could be just a little sticky change the lower unit lube

fbates

Recruit
It doesn't sound normal. I spin the prop and I hear this click click click click click. If the motor is turned on it and I put in forward the sound is louder (very noticeable). When the motor is off, the prop locks in forward and reverse like it should. But when I turn the prop in neutral it will make the noise. If I engage reverse then put it back in neutral the noise goes away. If I put it in forward then return to neutral the sound will return. Lower unit oil has been changed and I checked it again earlier today.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
put everything(motor and controls) in neutral, disconnect the cable at the motor , see if cable will slip back onto the linkage without having to move anything.
If not adjust the cable until it will slip on.

I have found that if someone shifts the motor while motor is not running or someone is turning prop by hand and forces it because the clutch dags are not lined up properly the shift shaft and pin through the prop shaft can bend/twist. if that happens you have to take lower unit apart and install new part to fix it

Last edited:

tommarvin

Ensign
Is there a problem with your motor, or is this just a sound that could be a problem?
The shift linkage worked fine last boating season, Why would it not work now?