2004 75hp 4 stroke yahmaha high rpm....

ccarver80

Petty Officer 1st Class
went out today for the first time .... it was reading a good rpm on the way out 5,200 @ WOT..... on the way back in... it was like 9,000!!! but the engine itself didnt sound any differnt.... would this just be the tachometer is probably broke??? the only thing bad that happend out there was i got tangled up in my prop and i trimmed the motor up to untangle it... well i forgot to put the engine back in the water and later i accidentally fired the motor for like 1 sec till i realized if F*** up and shut it off and trimmed it back down and fired it up.... water was still comming out from the motor like normal i dont think i damaged the water pump......

robert graham

Admiral
You didn't hurt the water pump....sounds like you have a bad or loose connection on back of tachometer...check it for looseness or corrosion..

ccarver80

Petty Officer 1st Class
sounds good... that makes sense cuz dumb me still went out when it was 20+ MPH winds... it got reallly rough and the boat got jarred pretty good in some waves!

ccarver80

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yeah. .. it was really sensitive acting to like I'd bump the throttle a little and it would jump 1,000 rmp instantly ...

robert graham

Admiral
Next time you're out in the boat try reaching your hand under console and jiggle the tach wiring and you may find the loose/bad connection.....my tach was acting up and it was a bad connection in the into-line fuse....clean tips of fuses and just a bit of grease can help....the humid marine environment is tough on boat electrical system.....