1996 Yamaha 175 2 stroke won't go over 2500 RPM - Feeling Overwhelmded!

BrokeNHappy

Recruit
My new-to-me 96' Yamaha 175 should be an awesome toe curling motor but it ain't. I can't seem to get her to go over 2500 rpm and that's only with the manual choke pulled out about a pinky width from the motor. She won't plane off and she shakes from 1000 rpm to 2000 rpm. Over 2000 she smooths out but dies if I throttle up too fast.

She won't start without setting the choke all the way on, then backing off after she starts. I've changed the plugs, checked compression, and changed the gas/cleaned the filter. He just likes to idle at 1/4 choke. Pressing the gas causes him to die. :(

Where should I start looking? Carbs? Is there a step-by-step somewhere for this? If not, and someone can talk me through it I'll post a full step-by-step for these three carb motors with lots of pics. I'd really like to see her brought back to life as the 175 and 200 is supposed to be an unbelievable engine.

For the shakes, I don't know. Maybe unrelated since she only shakes when engaged (prop turning) and in the water. I know the drive shaft isn't bent and the prop looks fine because I just changed the water pump (didn't work) but I can't think of anything else.

Anyone in Oklahoma wanna come play with a boat motor with me? :D

nq1qgw.jpg

tommarvin

Ensign
Your carbs are dirty clean/rebuild them with a rebuild kit.
Replace all on motor and off motor fuel filters. Don't clean a fuel filter if you can buy a new filter.
A factory service manual will walk you through a carb clean/rebuild.
Good compression is the most important thing.