VZ175 HPDI only fires when cranking

psychotr

Recruit
I just got done replacing the throttle body, spark plugs, and the under cowl fuel filters. After I did that the motor will only fire when the starter is engaged. It dies immediately like it loses spark when the key is moved to the run position.

I have YDS, everything looks normal on it as far as I can tell, no codes. Fuel pressure comes up into range when the engine is firing etc.

I have checked ignition switch voltage, safety lanyard switch, neutral switch, loose plugs under cowl, main relay

tommarvin

Ensign
So the motor worked before you replaced the throttle body,spark plugs, under cowl fuel filters.
It hurts when you work on your motor and then it won't run , a bummer ending of a great day,Iv'e been there not fun.
It sounds like you knocked a wire or something off when you worked on it, pick a starting point on the power head and slowly check everything as you work your way around the power head, especially around the throttle body, plugs, under cowl fuel filters, it sounds electrical.
I think the ignition switch is bad, remove it and test all the leads, ,the run position lead is dead?

Last edited:

psychotr

Recruit
The switch is good, i get 12v in run position at the switch (at the switch). I think it is the Y/R wire? I figured the same thing about potentially knocking a plug or wire loose, I haven't found anything yet.

tommarvin

Ensign
We have a force 125hp and our ignition switch has five leads to it.
Our factory service manual explains how to test all five leads separately, so you know the whole ignition switch is working properly.
When the switch turns to the run position it stops firing sure sounds like the ignition switch.

Capt Ken

Commander
The HPDI starts on six cylinders and runs on four. You didn't get something right and I would look at the TPS numbers on the throttle body first.