Yamaha 150 TLRP bogs down when planing

biglou699

Recruit
First post on here so be nice to the newbie. I have a 1991 Yamaha 150 TLRP on my 17' bass boat. Bought it used knowing that the boat did not plane correctly but thought I could fix it. I did all the normal tune up items which made a big difference but it still would bog down when you really open up the throttle. I was able to get up on plane as long as my son sat up towards the bow and I eased into the throttle so we just managed with it that way. Then one day out of the blue while heading back to the ramp, this thing takes off like you just kicked in the turbo. It was amazing how well it ran. It ran well for about 6 months and then out of the blue we are back to no plane and bog down at take off. What the heck??? Any tips, suggestions or personal experiences would be appreciated. Hey Rodbolt, I respect mechanical knowledge, any suggestions on this one?

tommarvin

Ensign
LOL, You have a 150 on a 17' bass boat and you had to put your son near the bow to make it plane., it's really bogging down.
If you have fuel injectors there's diagnostic software on E-bay for 65 bucks includes the cable,log all maintance too.
If you have carbs clean/rebuild them..
Replace all on engine and off engine fuel filters , fuel injectors have a filter on them.
Sounds like shes starved for gas.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Do a web search for Rodbolt17
Rod does not post here anymore

Sounds like it is not hitting on all cylinders or the timing is not advancing as it should
Need to start testing

biglou699

Recruit
Thanks for the replies tommarvin and 99yam40. I suspect the jets are clogged with trash and just happen to pass enough of the trash to improve the performance on one of the carbs. I plan to rebuild all three carbs this weekend and go from there. I just wanted to hear other suggestions. By the way, it is not some little 17' aluminum boat. It's a 17' Charger Bass Boat, all fiberglass with full front and back decks, and 25-30 gallon fuel tank, very heavy boat for a 17' bass boat. I'll try to update after rebuild to help others with this problem if that fixes it. Thanks again for taking time to reply.

tommarvin

Ensign
Your right the high speed jets are partially clogged, she's need some gas.
No disrespect on your
bass boat, I just pictured those bass fishing tournament boats, if they had wings they would fly away, the only thing in the water is the lower unit..
A 10 micron spin on water separating filter stop all water and bad stuff in the gas, if it's in the budget.

biglou699

Recruit
Thanks tommarvin. No disrespect taken. If you have a suggestion on a particular filter setup, forward me a link. I would love to drain and clean out fuel tank but the dang boat is built around the tank seems like. Thanks again for the suggestions.

tommarvin

Ensign
I don't know how to forward a link , It's a metal bracket that bolts to the transom, and the 10 micron filter it's the size of the old style oil filters screws on to it.
Don't worry about draining and cleaning out the fuel tank, this filter stops all water and bad stuff before it get's to your motor.
All boating places sell them it's standard equipment.
At the end of boating season pour it in a can and burn it up, grease the gasket spin it back on for next season,that 6 dollar filter now costs 3 bucks a year.