Unrepairable Suzuki DT150 HP 2 stroke?

NJWoody

Recruit
I am being told I can NOT fix my powerhead. 1997 DT150SS 2-stroke that was a "bassboat" motor.
DT150S 15002-751074 is the info off the silver plate.
I am being told that the 2 scored cylinders are not fixable as this series had boron (pistons) and can't be bored out.
If that's truly the case, I guess I am in the position to part the motor out (?)
Motor was very good to me and 3 out of 4 people I trust traced the failure back to (ethanol) gas as we could figure out no other plausible reason for the middle cyl on one side and the bottom on the other to cook. 4 compress at 110+/- 10% of each other and the 2 problem cyl's are at 60 and one is visibly scored.
Not really sure what to do now.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
New sleeves can be installed in that motor.-----So it is repairable.------Most shops today know that there is easy money to be made with selling new motors.

NJWoody

Recruit
Hmm., racer, I'm a real dummy with motors and blocks. So does it makes sense that boron can't be bored out? And if I place sleeves in there, won't that make for a smaller (thinner) cylinder that would have a different compression then?? (You can laugh - I'm not offended by much)

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Sorry,---Up to you to do some research on this type of repair work....

tommarvin

Ensign
racerone in right , no outboard is unrepairable, are you up for a rebuild or not, this forum will help you every step of the way ? This is going to take some time and effort pal, or do you have enough disposable income to buy another motor? If not step 1. tear the motor apart and take the block to a motorcycle machine shop, lets get to work fixing your motor.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Hmm., racer, I'm a real dummy with motors and blocks. So does it makes sense that boron can't be bored out? And if I place sleeves in there, won't that make for a smaller (thinner) cylinder that would have a different compression then?? (You can laugh - I'm not offended by much)

Sleeves are not new technology a lot of outboards come from the factor with sleeves your motor will not be weaker or less power. As far as Boron is concerned my guess it is that is what suzuki calls it's version of chrome plating. If that is the case your Block may be able to be re-plated which is usually cheaper than sleeving.

clanton

Rear Admiral
The cylinders are bolted to the block, 2 part numbers for the cylinders port and stb. Look at parts diagram Browns point marine for part numbers, then search the net, may find a good set of cylinders.

tommarvin

Ensign
Powerheadkit.com
This place has all the stuff for a power head rebuild.and very good prices.
Make sure you get the wiseco pistons.
If you buy a new outboard, make sure it's a Yamaha with fuel injectors.