1998 Suzuki DT140 efi engine tilt issues

merc1101

Cadet
Hello all, I recently started having problems with my engine not tilting up. I don't think it is the tilt motor because it tilts down just fine. I replaced the relay that I thought was faulty, but still having the same issue. when I push the tilt button on the side of the engine the relay will click but nothing happens. I have checked all the wiring and can't find any damage. Any idea what this could be? Thanks for any help

wrench 3

Commander
Actually it uses both relays for each direction. The relay that activates (clicks) supplies the positive to the trim motor but the inactive relay has to supply the ground connection. The other relay may have a bad contact, or the wiring connection to one of the relays may be bad.

tommarvin

Ensign
1.Why is the relay clicking ? Fix the clicking,fix the problem.
2. A factory service manual with wiring diagrams will help>,

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
1.Why is the relay clicking ? Fix the clicking,fix the problem.
2. A factory service manual with wiring diagrams will help>,

Relays clicking is normal just a small version of a starter solenoid. Swap the one you took out for the other one and see if that does the trick. Otherwise could be a bad switch.

Last edited:

wrench 3

Commander
The switch operates the relay. So if the relay clicks, the switch is working. Also the wiring too and from the switch is OK. And if it works in the down direction, the power and ground circuits are good to the point that they split to go to the two relays.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Just because a relay clicks does not mean it is working. There are 2 parts to a relay the first part that takes the low amperage from the switch and activates a coil that pushes a switch. That switch allows the higher amperage through to activate the motor if you didn't have the relays the switches would be burned up. When it clicks you need to make sure power is coming through for the motor.

lakensea

Chief Petty Officer
wrench 3 is the only person who understands how the relays operate on a two wire system - everyone else should refrain from giving advice.

If the OP had diagnosed the system properly with a factory service manual he would have most likely determined that the reason why the trim does not operate up is due to fact that the ground circuit in the down relay had failed.

merc1101

Cadet
Thanks to EVERYONE for the advice. If I had a repair manual it would be much easier but obviously I don't. Have a great day!

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
wrench 3 is the only person who understands how the relays operate on a two wire system - everyone else should refrain from giving advice.

If the OP had diagnosed the system properly with a factory service manual he would have most likely determined that the reason why the trim does not operate up is due to fact that the ground circuit in the down relay had failed.
Really, you do realize all relays work the same way right doesn't matter if it's a 2 or 3 wire system there function is the same. Sounds like the one who shouldn't be commenting is you. People give there advice for free, people with experience the only person not trying to be constructive or adding any information was you. How do you know it's a ground circuit sounds like you are guessing maybe you should keep your comments to yourself.

bollie46

Cadet
We had same problem struggle to figure out. It would only go down , switch wires and it will only go up. Sprayed the switch at motor and throttle with wd40 solved the problem.

Last edited:

merc1101

Cadet
I hooked a jumper cable from a battery directly to the blue wire and I hear the tilt motor running but still won't go up. The down tilt still works fine. I don't know what to think at this point.

lakensea

Chief Petty Officer
I hooked a jumper cable from a battery directly to the blue wire and I hear the tilt motor running but still won't go up. The down tilt still works fine. I don't know what to think at this point.

That's because the down solenoid is fried - replace the down solenoid with the good "up" one that you incorrectly replaced and you will be good to go.

lakensea

Chief Petty Officer
I will attempt to explain how the trim motors work. In a 3 wire motor system the motor you have a black, a blue and a green wire. The motor is grounded through the black, and the up relay simply connects + power to the blue wire, and the down relay connects + to the green wire.

With a 2 wire system you just have a blue and a green wire coming from the pump motor. When the relays are not energized both the blue and the green wires are grounded through the relays. When you energize the up relay it disconnects the blue wire from the ground and connects it + turning the motor in the up direction. If the ground circuit in the down solenoid is bad, then the motor does not have - power to the green wire, hence the motor does not turn.

lakensea

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks Lakensea, I swapped them out like you said and all is well.

You're welcome. If you are going to continue to do your own work I highly suggest you purchase a factory manual for that engine.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
That's because the down solenoid is fried - replace the down solenoid with the good "up" one that you incorrectly replaced and you will be good to go.

That was suggested in Post #4. Should probably read the whole post before you tell people they don't know anything.

lakensea

Chief Petty Officer
That was suggested in Post #4. Should probably read the whole post before you tell people they don't know anything.

Yes, but I believe that was a guess on your part, and then you suggested that it was a bad switch, which is impossible since both up & down relays were actuating by the switch.

When I suggested installing the replaced solenoid I backed it up with an explanation as to why.