90 yamaha not going in gear properly

cvtech1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I took my boat out today ran fine to my fishing spot but after sitting for a while we tried to back up and it made a rattling noise and didnt seem to go in gear. We moved to another spot and had to back up to get out the way of a barge. It backed up fine but would not go in forward. We tried shifting back and forth but it never would go forward. Atter backing toward the launch and not going anywhere we got pulled in. We looked at the biat afterwards and found it will not go in forward at all. The prop locks in reverse but not in forward. Any ideas please?

tommarvin

Ensign
Are the gears getting chewed up ?
Is the gear shifter out of adjustment.
A factory service manual will show you how to adjust for F-N-R, and then there's you-tube

cvtech1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Finally got a callnf4om the shop and they saying I need a lower unit and it would be cheaper labor wise to buy another unit instead of rebuilding this one. They left a msg so I didn't get to talkbto anyone yet. How does this sound to you guys, for a 2006 90 hp to be gone already?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Finally got a callnf4om the shop and they saying I need a lower unit and it would be cheaper labor wise to buy another unit instead of rebuilding this one. They left a msg so I didn't get to talkbto anyone yet. How does this sound to you guys, for a 2006 90 hp to be gone already?

Depends on what happened to it inside.
age may not have had anything to do with it.\
Find out what happened

Did all of the lube drain out?
was it full of water?
fishing line will take out seals faster than you can say OH S&%*T