Suzuki DF 150 water in oil

Gambler2101

Cadet
I just picked up a 08 DF 150 with 300 hours that has water in the oil. I dont know the history of the motor but the previous owner broke a plug in the number 3 cylinder trying to change it and gave up on it. I pulled the power head and removed the head but found no obvious hole in the block or head. The head is straight as is the block I put a straight edge on both. I cant see where water was getting past the head gasket. I have looked all over and can not find where the water was coming from. The head had to come off anyway to remove the broken plug but I do not want to spend the money on gaskets only to get water in the oil again. Anyone who works on these motors regularly run into this before that can tell me what or where to look. From the reading I have done it seems that there was a problem with the plug on the side of the motor corroding but I think that was prior to 08 mine looks ok. There is an allen screw in the bottom of the water passage in the head its ugly but not through the block into the oil pan. Side cover is fine as is the front cover. The front cover had a lot of scale in it but no hole. It cleaned up fine. Just hoping someone has dealt with this before and can save me some time and hassle. Thanks for your time

Water is getting into the motor somewhere I just cant seem to find it. I was hoping that one of you has had the same problem and can point me where to look that I am not seeing myself. It seems to be getting into the #3 cylinder

grid

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ooooo....that's ugly! By the numbers, picture #1 shows cracks not installed at the factory. #3 shows water in cylinders 1 & 2, with discharge down the entire exhaust. #8 shows aluminum all eatn up. #15...not sure what that is, but it's not an authorized coolant. The salt shows lack of flushing with extended periods of non-use. Just by what I see in #3, I'd say you had a blown head gasket (despite your saying it was true) because water was evident on those two pistons and water showed on the entire exhaust channel. Additionally, I don't think you'll be ahead by resurrecting this powerhead. It has entirely too much salt damage to make it worthwhile. Remember, this opinion is based solely on the great pix you took, and many years of opening engines (OMC/Suzuki/Yamaha etc), up to see what you saw.