Yamaha F75 Timing Belt Replacement

ggray

Seaman
2003 motor (bought "new in the box" in '07) with light usage, maybe 500 hours.

Timing belt looks virtually new, but I know the consequences of failure, so think I should replace it.

I have changed these on automobile engines; is this much more difficult? It looks like the flywheel needs to be removed, so that's one extra step.

I've seen a pdf file on this forum from a service manual for larger Yamahas, but not for the 75.

Does anyone know where that might be found?

Thanks!

ggray

Seaman
Thanks for chiming in, but this is a four stroke engine with a cogged belt that rotates the camshafts.

ggray

Seaman
The link is for a manual covering only 2 strokes, but I was able to use it to find one for a Yamaha 100 hp 4 stroke This gave some info, but I think I better get the manual for a 75 hp.

tommarvin

Ensign
I agree, better get the manual for a 75 hp, and all the torque settings, HF has a 20-200 inch pound torque wrench about 15 bucks

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Never fix anything that isn't broken.

Change interval for timing belt is 1000 hours

tommarvin

Ensign
If you have injectors, there's diagnostic software on E-Bay for 65 bucks, includes the cable, to diagnose problems,log all maintance. You need a laptop or tablet to run it.

lakensea

Chief Petty Officer
If you have injectors, there's diagnostic software on E-Bay for 65 bucks, includes the cable, to diagnose problems,log all maintance. You need a laptop or tablet to run it.

If you knew anything about Yamaha's you would know if it was EFI. And what does that have to do with a timing belt anyways?

Seahawk170

Seaman
Intersting question. My F90 (new to me) is the same block, so I'll be interested to hear the answer.
Personally, I'd like to know if this engine has a valve interference designed head on it. If interference designed, then a major repairs if it breaks while running.
Since you mentioned that it still looks new, then I'd just keep an eye on it for every couple hundred hours of use.