Winterize or not? Compression ring on NGK's reusable/

rickclark

Seaman Apprentice
I recently moved to Western North Carolina after 30+ years in New England where I have always winterized my 86 Yamaha 150. However, here in WNC we get some pretty decent fishing days throughout the winter, so I am tempted not to go through the winterization process down here. Should I be OK if I make sure to start and run the motor (at least on the muffs) for several minutes every 60 days or so if I am unable to get on the lake as often as I would like? Or should I just go ahead and fog the engine after each use? I always have fresh gas and stabilizer in the fuel system.
My one concern regarding fogging repeated times is the repeated removal and reinsertion of the sparg plugs. Seems I read that once the compression ring on the NGK's was "squashed" they should not be re-used. Don't want to keep replacing good plugs.
Perhaps I'm just being anal about a simple issue?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Change the gear oil annually, keep motor stored vertical so it drains and go fishing

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
When you're done fishing and get it on the trailer, turn the key to the off position.

When you go fishing again, turn the key the other way and motor off.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Agree with both prior replies. There is no need to winterize or throw oil in the cylinders if if you use it through the winter. Long term lay-up is when winterizing is suggested.

robert graham

Admiral
My 1999 Yamaha C90 has the original spark plugs and washers in it and I remove the plugs for cleaning/sandblasting pretty darn often...never had any issues with the washers....plugs don't much wear out, but could foul, especially in 2 stroke motors, especially pre-mix types(which mine is)....That little Harbor Freight Spark Plug Sandblaster($15) that I got many years ago pretty much eliminated new spark plug purchases for cars, outboard motors,chain saws, mowers, blowers! etc.....you'll need a compressor to run it but it's pure gold for keeping your engines running at 100% all the time...

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Sparkplug washers are designed for one time use, it's recommended that they be replaced each time the plug is removed, few people do this though.

I can't remember the last time I fouled a plug, maybe sometime back in the 1970's, they can wear out over time though, that's what you need to monitor.

The sparkplug sandblasters aren't highly recommended, they can leave bits of sand on the plug that can scratch the cylinder or foul the plug, plus sand blasting can damage the plug and reshape the surfaces, this may or may not cause problems. For a few bucks every couple of years in savings I can't see sandblasting as a cost effective method of maintenance.

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
When you're done fishing .
there's enough water around to never be done! Really good Striper fishing in places, Muskies too. And water deep enough for most anything to bite year round

robert graham

Admiral
Sparkplug washers are designed for one time use, it's recommended that they be replaced each time the plug is removed, few people do this though.

I can't remember the last time I fouled a plug, maybe sometime back in the 1970's, they can wear out over time though, that's what you need to monitor.

The sparkplug sandblasters aren't highly recommended, they can leave bits of sand on the plug that can scratch the cylinder or foul the plug, plus sand blasting can damage the plug and reshape the surfaces, this may or may not cause problems. For a few bucks every couple of years in savings I can't see sandblasting as a cost effective method of maintenance.

Yep, after sandblasting I clean and blow off plugs with carb cleaner and air hose....insulators nice and white like new...wire brush threads and a drop of oil on them....double check gap at .035 to .039.....no plug problems at all....so far, so good!....I have had a brand new spare set of plugs in my boat tool box for 15 years now, but just haven't needed them!...rest assured when and if they fail to fire correctly I'll install those new ones in the motor....

rickclark

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for all the input.. Will just make it a point to get on the water as often as I can and save the fogging oil for my buddies still up North