Speedi-sleeve for drive shaft seals, 2005 Yamaha F115TLRD

natemoore

Master Chief Petty Officer
Saw some oil on the cavitation plate. Hmmm. That's unusual. So, I removed the lower drain plug and, yep, milky gear lube. Took it apart and found this rough looking drive shaft seal surface. Does anyone know if there is a Speedi-sleeve made for this application? Thanks.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
that should be a hard SS sleeve I would polish it up and put in new seals

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Hard to say not knowing all the possibilities on the market. However, If you really need one, check with most any machine shop. If they can't make one, it can't be made. JMHO!

natemoore

Found the answer. There's not one made specifically for this. I'd need one that is 18 mm tall to fit an 28 mm shaft. Doesn't exist as far as I can tell. The Speedi-sleeve applications I found (part no. 99111 and 99866) are 9.53 mm tall, so two would work as long as the extra 1 mm doesn't interfere with anything else.

I've been trying to polish it. It'd be a heck of a lot easier if I had a way to spin the drive shaft other than manually. Feeling the burn in my forearm. It's difficult given that counterface is sunken down below the top of the lower unit.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
I would stuff a rag or paper towel down on top of the bearing to keep stuff out of it.

rig up a 1/2" drill motor to the shaft some how,
with someone else running it,
and then use emery cloth or some other abrasive with your fingers putting pressure on it to clean up the sleeve

natemoore

No drill, just elbow grease and emory paper. I did use my Dremel flexible shaft, polishing wheel, and rouge to do the final polishing.

I think I got it smooth enough. It feels smooth to the touch. There's a good band of metal near the top and bottom where the seal lip will ride. I'll install seals then pressure test.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Not bad...if it seals without any leaking issues, then happy boating again. JMHO!