DF150: fluctuating voltage / instruments unstable

jack daniels marine

Seaman Apprentice
boat and motor 2014. Suzuki DF150:

I was out on the water a couple of weeks ago. I accellerated from standstill rapidly. The motor died before it hit 2000rpm, the 15A sub fuse to the ECU was blown. I replaced the fuse, and all seemed ok at the time. ...Except that the Airmar DownVu sonar was displaying erraticly on the Garmin GPSmap820xs. And the voltage was unstable.
The voltage is measured and displayed on the GPS map, however I have checked over all connections and fuses on the batteries, the motor, fuse panel, main circiut breakers. All connections are as new and tight fitting. The Voltage is also displayed on the Suzuki SMIS LCD gauge. The voltage here is also unstable.
It fluctuates between 14.1 -14.8v within about a 6 second period at stable rpms, enough so that the speed, tilt, and rpm displays on the GPSmap are erratic. At idle the voltage varies only 13.9-14,1v
So, my question is: Is this fluctuating voltage garanteed to be a defective voltage regulator? or are there more components I should check first?

Although the boat runs ok, I suspect that a fluctuating voltage will only get worse and maybe even damage the accessories after a while.