1994 C55 TLRS timing

Chas10204

Recruit
1994 Yamaha C55TLRS. SN # 721633. Is the timing controlled by the CDI unit? The motor runs, but when I hook up a timing light, the timing marks are located about 5 inches counter clockwise from the timing indicator and do not seem to advance when the motor is throttled up. The timing marks do not move when I try setting by the timing adjustment screws. I'm stumped and thinking the CDI is bad???
The motor had a burnt piston when I bought it, and the owner said it ran well until the piston problem. I am a machinist by trade and piddle with outboards as a hobby. I bored both cylinders oversize, installed new pistons and rings and rebuilt both carbs.I was careful not to change any of the settings while rebuilding, but cant seem to get it running right. I purchased a Yamaha service manual which covers 1984 to 1996 2 hp to 250 hp, but it has very little about the C55 model. Any help would be appreciated.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
I would recommend getting A Yamaha service manual for that motor
not an aftermarket one that covers too many years and Hp motors.

If there is not any mechanical linkage hooked up to a plate under the flywheel to move the timing around then I must be done with the CDI.
Have you made sure the flywheel key is not sheared?