Stupid question from new boat owner

akareddog

Cadet
I bought a 1984 Suzuki DT115 this summer and I have no maintence records since the previous owner died about 10 years ago. I know I needed to replace the water pump at some point, but hadn't yet.

The motor starts easy and runs good. It seems like it's taking longer to see it pea water everytime I start it. The last time I took it out, it seemed like it took two minutes before I saw water going out with muffs on the motor in the yard. I didn't really time it, but it seemed like it took awhile.

So last week I was going to wintize it and no water came out after two or three minutes....I didn't really time it.

I ordered a water pump kit last week and installed it yesterday. I ran my motor for two minutes(actual time) and shut it off. The previous impeller was intact, and show some wear but not missing anything. Yes, the impleller fins are facing the right direction.

I live in Nebraska and it's getting really to freeze in the next couple of weeks. I didn't have an troubles this summer when it was hot out, and hoping there is type of thermostat control the water flow? I shut it off everytime before the heads got hot and they felt just warm. So there shouldn't been any damage.

So does the motor have to get hot before it discharges water......that makes since since it's getting colder and I'm hoping I'm just not running it long enough?

No sand or mud in the water pump housing.

Can some please help?

Thanks Shane

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Shane, I looked and I can't find any engine Suzuki built in 1984 that was a DT115. I did find such an engine listed in the 1986 models. However there is a thermostat in your engine and with a new water impellor change, you should check and/or change the thermostat as well. JMHO

akareddog

Cadet
It's definitely a 1984 DT115 and I have a sevices manual and Browns Point Marine Parts. So if the thermostat is stuck shut, does it stop all water flow?

Browns list two themostat 17670-94503 and 17670-94510 but doesn't explain any difference....same temp range 50C

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Unless you've changed the thermostat since it was new, it could have build up in the water passage around the thermostat. So remove it and test it in some water to see if it opens at the proper range. And see if the passages are clean and open. JMHO!

WIMUSKY

Staff member
The tell tale(where it pees water) is just that, it lets you know it's pumping water. Maybe it's somewhat plugged. Does water dump out the center of the prop? It should dump out somewhere. Feel that, it may be a little warm but not hot. Normally it stays pretty cool since your constantly pumping cold water into the motor from the house.....

If you remove the thermostat to test it, just replace it.....

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
when you put the lower back on after the water pump work, did you get the discharge tube hooked up properly? how are the seals on the water tube?

akareddog

Cadet
Tell%20Tale%20Red_zpsmcmokgoh.jpg

Looks like everything is working correctly, once i stopped using the muffs. I assumed on this Suzuki model the water doesn't come out of the prop hub? I had a very strong stream out of the tell tale as soon as I started it up. Then water started coming out of the area I circled in red, once the thermostat opened up....about 1 or 2 minutes.

I'm still interested in changing the thermostat, but I believe I would have to pull the head cover to get to the thermostat....is that correct?

Thermostat%20Red_zpsnrk3kjmg.jpg

The best I can tell with my parts book it looks like the thermostat is in the area I circled in red. Has anyone ever changed the thermostate on this model before? Looks like there is a ton of bolts if I have to pull the power head.

delfinasul

Seaman
Hmm, i don't know for sure but I think in the back portion of red circle is a cover for thermostat, cover oriented to the flywheel.