water in oil

rbarthe

Recruit
I have a 2006 df175 250 hrs. I had idle problems at 1st. It was idling rough and would kill sometimes when I put it in gear. I changed the plugs and both fuel filters. The next trip it ran great. The 2nd trip it started idling rough again and killing when placed into gear. I researched the problems and cleaned the idle control valve (IAC). While doing this I decided to check the compression. I checked the compression on all 4 cylinders and they were fine. I did not disconnect the fuel lines and when I started the engine it back fired 1 time. I then started it and it idled at 1800 rpms. I replaced the IAC valve . I started it and it went to 2000 rps then idled down to 1500 rps. I tried to adjust the idle air screw but it did not change the rpm. I figured I now have an air leak. I inspected the entire system and cannot find any signs of an air leak. I then check the oil level and and found I now have water in my oil. The motor still starts easy and runs fine except for the high idle. I think the engine back firing caused the air leak. I took it to the dealer and when he saw water in the oil he said I would need a complete engine overhaul and I am looking at 7500.00. He advised it would be better to buy a new engine. I feel I can do the overhaul myself but I am not sure if it is a blown head gasket, some other gasket, or a cracked power head or engine block. With the high idle and water in the oil does anyone have and idea of where I should start looking for the problem

eddie haskell

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Wow....bummer. Way hard to advise on so little information. That dealer might have just seen $$$$ when you walked in.
You have to know your ability to rebuild better than anyone here, and weigh the cost and time against your own personal schedule and wallet.
You could always part it out after dis-assembly if the repairs are greater than you are willing to invest. But that takes time too.