1999 Yamaha vmax prop shaft replacement

Skeeter 66

Recruit
i am trying to decide how difficult it is going to be to replace the recently bent prop shaft on my 1999 yamaha v200tlrx, I am pretty mechanically inclined, but never opened up this yamaha before, just bent the prop, broke the skeg, and bent the shaft!....hope someone here can let me know how difficult it is going to be. looks like 2 bolts and it is out? any help would be great, thanks in advance

robert graham

Admiral
My motor is a 1999 C90 Yamaha and if I damaged my lower unit as badly as yours I'd be looking at used/rebuilt units to replace it with....considering cost of parts and labor for repairs.....but good luck and keep us posted on your progress!....

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
pick up a service manual for your motor and read what it will take to do what you7 are dealing with.
See if you have the tools and knowledge to get it done

Skeeter 66

Recruit
Ok, I have the Yamaha service manual 1997-2003. I have tools, I am just trying to get an idea from someone who has done this.it has been my experience in the past that if you want it done right do it yourself. i have rebuilt multiple auto engines in the past, but havent ventured into a bottom end of this yamaha. the shaft is not that bent and still rotates freely but it has to be replaced. it looks like there is only 2 bolts holding the bearing housing assembly in. the manual is vague! it seems to simple to get out, maybe it is this simple but i am just trying to get some info.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
is this a Yamaha manual or an aftermarket that covers lots of different motors?

Does it tell you what pullers to use to get the shaft and carrier out?

Looks like the 2 bolts are a easier set up than the big nut that usually has to be drilled and broken to get it out.
good luck with your search and the repair