Suzuki DT85 '83? Shift rod placement

HolyCrab

Recruit
I recently acquired a boat with a Suzuki DT85 outboard (poss. 1983, but not sure), and as it hasn't been run in many many years I decided to check out the water pump to see if it needed replacement, which it does. Not knowing exactly what I was doing when I removed the lower unit, I pulled the shifting rod (clutch rod, proper term?) out of the gear case and now can't get it to go all the way back in, it seems to be about a 1/4th inch too high, so the seal on the rod wont seat properly. With the rod being out of position, the prop only spins in what would be forward motion when the shaft is turned by hand clockwise. I can't get the gears to change into what would be neutral or reverse. I would really rather not have to take all the gears out if there is any way to fix this without doing so. If the gears need to come out and I decide to take it to a local boat mechanic in Southern California, about how much should I expect to pay for labor assuming all the parts are fine?

Thanks!

HolyCrab

Recruit
Well, I just answered part of my question. I just got off the phone with a local shop and they said the gears need to be removed entirely and put back in, and while they're at it it should be resealed. They said $330 for labor, plus the seal kit. I've already ordered the seal kit a few days ago because those are disintegrated. Just how difficult is it to remove the gears and put them back properly? I do not have a manual at this time, do I need one or is this pretty much put them back in exactly as pulled out? Any help is always appreciated!