Yamaha 115 tilt/trim problem

smeyer56

Recruit
My 2003 Yamaha 115 4 stroke has been having a problem lately. It has happened 3 times so far this summer. The tilt/trim is acting up and won't go down all the time. It seems to happen after the boat has been in the water but this could be a coincidence.

The first time it happened was 4th of July weekend. I had pulled the boat out of the water the night before we were going home from a trip because we were expecting rain in the morning. I didn't pay attention to the angle but later noticed that the bow was about a foot lower than the stern. I had used the bracket that holds the motor up for the short trip from the landing and was trying to lower motor onto my transom saver. The ALL tilt/trim switches would just click when I tried to lower it. I thought maybe the huge amount of water in the boat had shorted something and after a week or so it worked fine in the garage.

Second time I was fishing and tilt/trim worked fine while unloading and fishing but had the same issue after getting poured on while traveling home and trying to lower motor while in garage.

Last night I went fishing and again it worked fine while fishing but when I tried to lower onto the bracket for short trip home it wouldn't lower. I used the manual release and lowered it and then again in the garage. This morning it worked fine. It didn't get wet last night so I am not sure what the problem is.

I have checked all switches when it happens. All switches have the same problem.
The tilt motor seems to be okay because it works in the up mode and most times in the down.

Any ideas what could cause this?

Thanks

Last edited:

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
my guess would be the relays internal contacts are not making good connection on either the positive or the negative when this problem happens