Yam 150 2-stroke oil / temp light testing

louiefl

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 2003 Yamaha 150 carb'd 2-stroke (TXRB 150 6G4 x1001227[FONT=&quot]) [/FONT]and on the dash are two lights - one for oil level and the other for temperature. I have seen the same lights on Yamaha tachs so assume they are wired similarly. When I turn the key on, the oil level light illuminates briefly and goes out as part of a start up diagnostic. The overheat light however does not illuminate.
Q1: Should the overheat light illuminate briefly during key-on like the oil level? Q2: Is there a simple way to check the overheat light? I also do not hear a buzzer sound during key-on like I did for my Johnson two-stroke, but read that it is only if the lanyard is out.

Last edited:

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
if these lights are not part of a Yamaha tach, then you need to contact the people that installed the lights to see how they rigged it up

louiefl

Petty Officer 2nd Class
They appear to be a pair of red LEDs that go to a 4-pin connector and then goes into the harness. It seems like they serve the same function as the two lights in the Yamaha Pro Seies II Analog gauges. If I could figure out how to get the two tach lights to illuminate, I'm sure these would be the same.

Last edited:

erniefish

Petty Officer 2nd Class
To check over heat , back on the engine, I believe starboard side of motor is a wire comming out of the block, top, on head, ,disconnect, with ign. On, ground the wire, if two wire, connect the two together, you should get a audible as well as a visual alert, I actually do this annually to verify I get audible alarm , I hope this helps