8hp Yamaha 2 stroke won't start after being transported on its side

gwozhog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I store my 2 stroke engine on a stand upright. I have started it on the stand first pull all week. Today I transported the motor to the river on the its side tiller down and when I got in the water it would not start. I checked spark and it was getting spark. It however was not getting any fuel. I checked my hose from the tank with a pin and fuel shot 5 ft after I squeezed the bulb so it not the fuel line. I pulled the plugs and they were dry so I put a few drops of fuel in each cylinder with the plugs out and installed the plugs and she cranked up after a few pulls. After that she ran like a race horse flawless. Same thing happened when I transported the motor home on its side and tried to start on the stand at the house. My question is what is happening inside the carb when I tilt the engine on its side? Could it be the float is getting stuck. I pulled the carb apart last week to clean it out and it had no gunk in it at all. As long as she never gets laid down she will start on first pull and run flawlessly. Any Ideas would be appreciated.

gwozhog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

so the fuel is spilling out of this port when the motor is tiller side down. I inspected every facet of the carb again. float height is 14mm ,all jets clear, diaphragm in fuel pump has no holes. is it normal for the carb to lose fuel at that port when on its side?

Attachments

• photo229526.jpg
    photo229526.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 0

gwozhog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So it turns out I was starting my engine wrong. I spoke with a small engine repair mechanic and he told me how to start all 2 storke carbed engines. Step 1 put choke in full choke and pull until the engines makes its first blah noise. then move to half choke and pull until it starts. I have applied that technique now to my weed eater, chainsaw,leaf blower, and outboard and I get them all started now in 1-3 pulls max.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Thanks for reporting back what the problem was.

There may be others out there that do not know the proper way to start some of those motors.
But most have read owners manuals and know the proper way