Is 15+ volts overcharging on my Suzuki DT140 ???

jonathon7

Recruit
My 1988, DT140 seems to be overcharging. The voltage gauge is running around 15V at any mid range rpm. Then it blows the 25A fuse (one of 2) that is in the CDI enclosure area, next to the CDI unit. After this reacuring fuse blowing issue, I purchased a used rectifier and voltage regulator/rectifier to test the voltage problem. I was told it was in working condition. Not sure if they are? I installed them and same problem, blowing the one 25A fuse. This fuse is the one that has a white with red stripped wire on both ends. It goes to the down side of the tilt/trim relay on one end of the wire and to the ignition switch (ON and START part of switch) on the other. The tilt works fine until the fuse blows. The other 25A fuse that is next to the one that blows never has blown. That fuse is the one that actually goes to the voltage/rectifier and rectifier (white wire). Do you know what the max. voltage needs to be at a fairly high rpm? It seems that the thing never ran above 13 volts or so before. Any new ideas???

gdpalumbo

Seaman
Fuses blow from over current conditions, not a few volt increase in anything. Charging voltage might be a little high at 15 volts but is not the reason your fuse is blowing. I'm not familiar with your motor but I am an electrician and that isn't blowing your fuse. Something on the motor is drawing too much current. This could be a bad component or maybe a shorted wire somewhere and this over current condition could be what's causing the high charging voltage (if that is high for your motor). If anything, a higher voltage would lower your current draw as basic ohms law states. Anytime voltage rises, your current will drop ie.... if you have a circuit at 100 volts drawing 10 amps of current then the same circuit at 200 volts would draw 5 amps it's always directly proportionate between voltage, resistance, amp draw and power (wattage).
t