2004' 115HP Suzuki four stroke outboard issues

This is my first time using this site so I apologize in advance for any odd questions or being long winded. I live and boat here on floridas east central coast in Sebastian Fl. This past weekend my son and I took the boat (18' pro sport flats boat, 1994') to the Indian river to fish the local docks in the flat/shallow areas we often fish. This motor has run flawlessly over the last two years I've owned the boat, but on this trip I noticed as we idled around the motor was idling a bit erratic but nothing too concerning. We had lightning moving into the area which meant it was time to go. Once I slowly made my way to the main ICW channel. I opened the throttle up and it did slide onto plane, but I did notice the response was chopped up and sounded like a two stroke with fuel issues. It drove back on plane at 3/4 throttle all the way back near the boat ramp where I had to slow for bridge. When I tryed to get on plane again, nothing but erratic response with only 1/2 throttle avail at most. That's when the motor started to beep every three-four seconds. We did limp back to the ramp, and motor was not overheating (at least not that I know of) the motor was peeing completely through and temp was normal. Once I got home, I tried to restart the engine but to no avail. I poured out about a half gallon of gas into a glass jar thinking maybe gas? But it looked normal with no water.Any help I would greatly appreciate.
Ps- I had the annual service performed about six months ago new filters, oil change, water separator, etc.
This being my first four stroke, I would need some pointers on diagnosis, thx again

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
not sure how or where from you poured the gas, but if not from the bottom of tank then it would not show water.

Monitor fuel pressures and check injectors would be my thoughts
look up the beeping code to see what it has telling you

I removed the fitting from the end of the fuel hose that attaches to the motor, but good point water would be at the bottom of the tank

lakensea

Chief Petty Officer
The warning alarm is there for a reason - to tell you something is wrong. It does not tell you that you have bad gas or low fuel pressure.

There are warning lights on your tachometer that will provide more information about the alarm, but you should now bring it into a QUALIFIED Suzuki dealer to properly diagnose the problem.

Correct, I realize that the buzzer is for a negative event that happens to the engine, i just wondered why? , after we drove for such a while before it sounded. and the next stop IS the suzuki dealer. Thx for the input, I do like the fact everyone is so quick with help, I will be sure to follow up soon

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
did you pay attention to the beep count?

I can't recall exactly what pattern but it wasn't multiple beeps each time it was one beeeeep every 5-8 seconds? But I do appreciate the diagnostic code chart, it won't restart not but is there a way to check the code without the engine running??

lakensea

Chief Petty Officer
That chart is misleading - half of those codes to not apply to the OP's particular engine.

If you are going to diagnose today's high tech outboards, I suggest you purchase a factory service manual from your local dealer.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
being I have not had the privilege of working an many of the modern day Suzuki motors, I would think that the codes that do not pertain to his motor will not sound on his system

I appreciate it still eighther way, I will be taking it to the Suzuki service center soon, in our local area. I will follow up with you guys to let u know what's up. Just strange it ran so well and then took a dive, but?? Ya know thems the brakes!!šŸ˜

Got a call today from the mechanic, NOT good news, apparently there is corrosion which has eaten the edge of the cylinder head causing water to foul the oil and the engine did not overheat so they know (from experience I'm told) its not the head gasket. They say the compression is low and the engine isn't worth getting into. As of coarse I asked if they could be sure if they removed the head to verify? And again I was told it wasn't worth it, I'm also told the head is quite a big deal to remove and the engine has to be 90 percent disassembled. My question was that how could the do a compression test if the cylinder/head seal was compromised , and leaking? And I was also bothered there was no way to go any further without what I was told was extreme tear down. The engine come to find out has only 194 hours of run time. Fast forward an hour, I called a rebuild company down here in florida, and found that suzuki and Yamaha have a similar issue with corrosion in this area of the head which can (in most cases) be welded and machined down to replace the material eaten away by the corrosion, especially with the amount of total hours, and the fact the motor is not locked up or overheated. I'm also told by the rebuild company it happens quite often, and he has done this repair several times a year for 10-15 years on these four stroke motors, so I'm kind of in limbo at this time. Any thoughts would be helpful, thx guys

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
someone will have to tear it apart to make sure what is found, not guessing.
If you cannot do it then you will have to pay someone to do it so you can have a look, not just taking there word what was found

lakensea

Chief Petty Officer
I cannot think of any alarm that would be caused by water contaminated oil or low compression - did the dealer check the ECM history?

It takes about 4 hours to remove the cylinder head on that engine.

An overhaul is about 12 hours plus parts (about $700 for rings, bearings, gaskets) plus any welding/machining. If the engine holder has not been replaced, it most likely should be - another $1,000.

Up to you if you want to spend the money for the teardown - don't know the labor rate in your area.