Yamaha V130 Low Speed Question---not smooth until certain RPM (about 5mph)

gdpalumbo

Seaman
Hello everyone,
Id like to thank anyone in advance for responding to this post and helping me out. I have a 1988 Yamaha V130 4 cylinder outboard. The motor runs excellent every time I take the boat out I just have one question. The motor runs awesome except when at low speed in gear. Ever since I owned the boat when I'm at a low trolling speed with the motor it kind of jumps and doesn't run smooth until I hit a few Rpm's higher (around 5 mph) and it smooths out and runs awesome. Is this motor designed to run like that at low speed. I did notice that the motor doesn't smooth out until the ignition advance arm starts to move with the throttle. There is a short range before it starts to move where the throttle will advance but the ignition advance has not yet been pressed by the stopper to move with the throttle and it seems like the time it jumps is in this throttle period when the advance hasn't moved yet. My Seloc manual says nothing about when in the throttle range it is supposed to contact the advance arm so I'm wondering......Is this how this motor was designed to run? I know all my buddies newer bass boats run great at all throttle/rpm points. I'm pretty mechanically inclined so If anyone has any input on this I would appreciate it. I have searched everywhere online to see if there is an answer to my question but haven't found anything. I have never touched any of the ignition or throttle linkage and all the stoppers and bolts are still in the same position they were in when the motor was built (I can till tell by the thread sealer on the fasteners). Also, I have had the carbs off recently to clean them and all was/is good with all the jets and ports in the carbs. Thank You again.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
check to make sure compression, spark, and timing are all in spec

If they are the you have to find out what is causing the idle fuel to air ratio to not be correct.
carbs not linked and synced properly,
plugged pilot jet/passages,
or leaking seals/gaskets letting to much air in

gdpalumbo

Seaman
Compression and spark are fine. Engine runs strong at wot at 55mph so I really have trouble believing it's a timing issue as I would be noticing issues all the way through the power range. Carbs are fine and we're just rebuilt. I don't know about anything not sealing as I said I have a hard time believing that any of the issues you listed would cause a rough low speed troll and not anywhere else in the power range. Once I hit like above 2k rpm it's completely fine and like I said it starts to smooth out when I see that ignition advance moVe.