Yamaha outboad goes to one side

Dom08

Recruit
Hey guys
Just got a 17ft aluminum boat with a 2006 Yamaha 90 4stroke outboard on it. I took it out today for the first time and found that the motor wants to always flip to the right side of the boat and I have to keep a bunch of pressure on the wheel to keep it straight. What causes this?

robert graham

Admiral
Can you check/adjust that zinc trim fin/tab on the back/bottom of the anti-ventilation plate?....looking at the back of the motor that fin should be generally in the right/starboard position. It's purpose is to counteract steering torque from the clockwise rotation of the prop....

Dom08

Recruit
Can you check/adjust that zinc trim fin/tab on the back/bottom of the anti-ventilation plate?....looking at the back of the motor that fin should be generally in the right/starboard position. It's purpose is to counteract steering torque from the clockwise rotation of the prop....

Thanks for the reply. I adjusted it max to the right and it's much better but still slightly wants to pull to the right

robert graham

Admiral
That sounds fairly normal.....my rig is an 18 ft. Jon with a 90HP motor and I pretty much have to keep a hand on the wheel....transom trim tabs might cure it but too much money and trouble for me....