1989 prov 150 trim problems

salprofish

Recruit
I've been having some trim issues lately, 1989 prov 150 2 stroke ive owned it for 3 years with almost zero issues until a few weeks ago. When the engine is tilted up out of the water trim switch on the shifter/throttle works fine up or down until its lowered to the slow/ halfway position then it will not trim up but will trim down. The switch on the engine works fine up and down. I was told by a " Yamaha tech" that its a bad switch, put a new switch on still have the same problems. I called and talked to another tech. at a different shop and he said its prolly the trim relay, sounds good to me except all the wiring for the switches tie together before going into the relay, so that's not it. Really frustrating getting the runaround if anyone can point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it, Steve.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
only thing I can think of is a bad wire/connection close to motor, as the motor moves it screws up the connection

gdpalumbo

Seaman
I agree with the posted reply. If the trim switch on the motor works fine and the control trim switch is intermittent at certainTrimmed locations, check for an issue in the wiring. Buy a manual and it will tell you what every wire does And it's color code, this will help you big time now and in the future and seloc has the online manual through iboats for 19.99 for one year and make sure you go through the iboats one because seloc only offers 3 subscriptions on their website. This definitely sounds like a wiring issue as when your motor changes position It affects your control switch.