Opinions on 2015 Yamaha F40 propeller model

sierra 18

Cadet
Hello: I've always received excellent advice on this forum so I'm back to ask a question. I'm looking to buy a new Yamaha 40 HP (prop) to replace my 2000 35HP Johnson. The Johnson (console, not tiller) is on a 14' Lowe fishing V hull fishing boat that I bought about 5 years ago. The engine ran fairly reliably with two breakdowns (once a failed impeller, once a loose power pack), but twice in a row this year, it has left me stranded. In both cases this year, I started without a problem, and ran off and on through the day on the lake, using my Minnkota trolling motor for all the trolling work in between runs of the outboard.

The last start (attempt) of the day that I was stranded in July, the Johnson would roll but would not catch. I changed out all three plugs on the water, checked the fuel lines, etc, no luck. This eventually lead me to being towed by kind strangers up to our Canadian waters from southern Pennsylvania who saw me stranded and came over. Once on land, I had the motor brought in for service, the fuel lines were old/corroded, so they were changed and the motor was deemed fit to go. I went out a second day on the water, ran off and on all day, and the same thing happened, stranded as I was trying to come back to shore, but this time I had just enough juice left in the trolling battery and then the main battery for me to limp to shore.

I've since been told by a few different repair places that the power packs on the 35HP Johnson model I have can be a chronic, and expensive, fail point. Not wanting to pump power packs into this engine at $500 a pop on power packs that I am told carry no warranty, I'm looking at biting the bullet and buying a new, very reliable motor (as opposed to buying a whole new boat when this one is otherwise working well, I like the set up and layout, etc).

So, I'm looking to have the Johnson replaced with a new 2015 Yamaha F40 prop model. It's a chunk of cash, but cheaper than a new boat, and from what I've read lately online and from what mechanics from various spots have told me, I may have continued reliability issues with the Johnson at this point. I do not like to be stranded.

So, any opinions on the 2015 Yamaha F40 would be well appreciated, i.e. reliability, durability, ease of service, etc.

Thanks very much,

Chris