2006 Yamaha 25 HP F25TLR not running at WOT high RPMs

botadevela

Recruit
Engine was running fine . Used daily on dinghy. Then, suddenly started running super rough. Backfiring, coughing. Rebuilt the carb ' even did an ultrasonic cleaning. Started running a little better but only getting one third of the regular speed not even fast enough to plane out. Bogs at WOT. Backfires and dies when I bring the revs back down to low speed unless I back it down very slowly to idle. Idles fine. Ran it on a separate fuel source ' exact same symptoms.Cleaned fuel filter. Changed the plugs. Plugs looked good. They were only 6 months old. After changing the plugs, took it out and it immediately ran beautifully , full throttle, super high speed ' all was good. Brought it back to the dock and shut it down. Then restarted and the old symptoms came back exactly as before. I assume the timing and compression have to be good as well as the carb and fuel filter since it did run full blast for a while. Any ideas on where to go next? Thought I would change the plug wires.Seems electrical intermittent issue is at source. What else is upstream of plugs?

I would appreicate any guidance....