Yamaha T8 water flow/cooling questions

ChrisNE

Recruit
I have a 2002 T8 that was constantly loosing the flow on the tell tale, even after a new water pump. A wire up the pee hole would help for a while, but eventually it would plug again. Occasionally, I'd find little chunks of sand/scale in the tell tale line when I'd take it apart.

I had enough of this, so I popped the thermostat cover and found my problem. The inside of the housing and rubber hose were coated w/some pretty thick scale. Tried flushing w/vinegar, but I wasn't getting anywhere. Switched over to the "Works" toilet bowl cleaner. Poured it down the block through the thermostat housing, let it sit ten minutes and rinsed w/ water, and did this repeatedly (10-15 times) until foaming stopped and I didn't see any chunks of scale coming out below (had the lower unit off) or above. Cleaned up the thermostat, thermostat cover and all the hoses/tubes. Everything appears to work perfectly now. Ran it hard for 15 minutes pushing the boat..had warm water at tell tale. Motor seemed normal temp. Tell tale didnt plug again!!

Now..my question. I'm worried I didn't get all the scale from the water jacket. As I was trying to flush the block, I could not get any liquids to go down the port the other end of the thermostat cover tube was connected to on the block. I could suck on it and get water and air to come out, but no flow the other direction blowing into it. Is this normal? Where is this water going? How is it going anywhere when I couldn't push air through it?

Another question. I noticed when the motor was warmed up and at higher RPM, some water was flowing from two ports near the pivot just under the head of the motor. Is this normal?

Even though everything appears to be working fine, I have this idea in my head that the water jacket is caked with this material and I didn't get it all removed. And it could cause problems later.

Explain how this system works....I looked at parts diagrams and still don't understand it.

Thanks!

Chris