05 Four Stroke 225 fuel loss

Bilgepump9

Recruit
I purchased this Boat & Motor just a year ago. I have about 35 hours on it since I purchased it. Last May it stalled due to lack of fuel. (When I pump the squeeze bulb it would fire back up) I replaced the bulb and the boat ran fine for about 1 hr, than it did the same thing. It seemed to get progressively worse, I took in in for the 500 hr service and described my symptoms. Dealership completed the work and said I had a clogged secondary fuel filter on the engine. Once again, after about 1 hour of use, the same symptoms began. When I pump the bulb , the engine starts right up, I may need to complete this cycle once or twice and than it will run fine, until the next time I shut it down. One other note, when the engine is not running the bulb does not get hard, but with engine running it does get hard. When I do squeeze the bulb, it sounds like it is sucking air somewhere, but I have no unusual fuel smells and fuel leakage evidence. Thanks in advance for your help

Last edited:

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
sucking air on the vacuum side will not leak fuel out unless you pressurize it some how..
Check all connections and o rings

bryanzzz

Seaman
Had the exact same problem with my F90 Yamaha. My problem was tank not venting, also slow/ hard to fill at gas station. Motor would shut down, pump primer bulb and engine fires, runs fine until it shuts down again. I suspect you have a fuel tank vent problem. I went as far as purchasing a 3 gallon tank and connecting directly to primer bulb, motor ran fine. Cut your fuel tank vent hose and install a tee, this will vent your tank. Several posts on other sites related to same problem. Reply if you have a question, understand you frustration.